Monday, October 15, 2007

Plagued by migraines

Those of you who never experience or rarely have migraines I truly hope that you never will. It’s the pits, totally! I had my bouts with one over the weekend. It starts with a mild headache from the back of my head, then eventually pulsates through my head coming out right above my eyes. Well, my attack began Sunday morning as soon as I woke up, dashing my plans to enter a 10K run out on the coast about an hour drive from where we live. It sounded like a fun event to do. According to the course description, part of the course was beach and through cranberry bogs. And the weather was perfect too, clear day…well except for the morning fog. I decided to pop in one of my pills that is suppose to relieve the worst migraines which by far has been ineffective for me since I picked it up from the pharmacy last spring, but I thought I give it another try. You never know why, right?

The kid and I downed a bowl of cereal, banana, and glass of juice, I had three hours until race time. But by the time I made arrangements to meet up with an aunt who lives in that town so she could hang out with the kid(the spouse is out of town on weeklong hunting trip), gathered my gear and stuff, my head was throbbing. I kept imagining this vision like a blood vessel was ready to burst any minute in my head. It’s that kind of pain. Truthfully, I was in denial until I was walking out to the car…there was no way this was letting up anytime soon. So instead, I called it off, gave the aunt the sad news, she said she’d come out instead, but we all met at grandma’s instead. So later in the day it got the best of me, brought me to my knees over the toilet. Applying heat pad to my neck and forehead only brought more nausea.

To this day, I’m not exactly sure what triggers it. I know that I started getting them after I was involved in a bad car accident almost ten year ago. Going to the chiropractor helps sometimes, but they’re hard to get a hold of on weekends. And it’s been awhile since I’ve been to the chiropractor. I always try to get some decent sleep and eat more healthy food. One thing I know for sure is most perfumes are not my friend, plus strong scented lotions too.

Anyhow that’s my sad tale over such a gorgeous weekend here in rain country. Other than that I managed to push out 7.5 miles Sunday evening. It was my revenge against the migraine. The first two miles are bit rough(pounding pain in the head), but eventually it smoothed out. The route took me two miles out of town to this park with a two mile trail loop around the lake. I got out a bit late and so I was pushing for time and distance to make the most of the daylight I had left. So I start doing the loop around the lake, about half mile into it, I pass another female jogger running in the opposite direction dressed in a black running attired(black Capri & black long sleeve top), and ipod gadget, her blond hair tied back. We wave ‘hi’ and go about our business. Well like a half mile later, here she comes again! I was stunned! I looked at my watch and quickly do the math, I’m doing about 7:45 min pace. WTF! I continue my run puzzled because she didn’t have the sprint blazing pace or flying running form. So I wondered how this could be possible. And there is no other way to access this trail. A river borders one side of this lake so there’s a section of boardwalk path. The only other way is to go across the lake…not possible. Half mile later, there she is again! And I pick up my pace substantially and proceed to do the 2nd lap and same thing happens again, again, and again while my lungs are almost screaming. The last time she goes by me, I notice that we have the same shoe. As I was going by the parking lot, I notice that she’s already back at her car stretching. I couldn’t help myself. I stopped and ask her how many laps she’s done and how fast. She tells me four and it took her almost 40 minutes! Just then I look down at her shoes and notice that they’re different. I give her a confused look. She then chuckles and tells me that she’s waiting for her twin sister to finish up. “Aha! Gotcha!”

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about the migraine. That's a funny story about the twin.

Nancy said...

Oh so sorry about the migraines, deary. Sounds like you have some triggers identified but others still unknown. I'm wondering how often you get them. Couple words of advice and then contact me offline if you want to talk more about it. (I am a doctor of pharmacy and do work in this area)

There are prophylactic meds that you can take all the time to try to prevent migraines. This is usually reserved for people who get them very often or they are quite debilitating. The other thing is, there are several agents in the same class to try to abort the migraine, but they may not all work for you. If you are not having luck with the one you are on, it may be worth trying another of these agents. It is also common to need a second dose to get the migraine fully aborted.

Let me know if you want to discuss any of this further. I'm glad you got it stopped and got a run in.

Freakish twin story :D

Backofpack said...

I love the twin story - that's hilarious!

I get the occasional migraine too - my triggers are bright light (like looking at someone who is sitting in front of a window), dehydration and certain scents - particularly lavendar. Mine always start with a visual disturbance - and I have learned the hard way that if I take ibuprofin as soon as my sight goes funny, the headache will be managable. If I don't, I'm down for the day. Fortunately, I only get them three to four times a year. Oh, and I have heard other people say they are related to the hormonal cycle. Hope something in this info helps!

Sarah said...

I'm still laughing about the twin story! : )

Sorry about the migraine! I don't think I've ever had one, but people close to me have. Caffeine seems to help. Take care!

Thomas said...

My mother-in-law used to have really bad migraine attacks. One day, more than 10 years ago, she went to get acupuncture for it. She has been pain free ever since.

The twins story is really funny. I'm still chuckling away, and I'm in the office!

Triseverance said...

Hi Bella I am a fellow Migraine sufferer. Mine are always located above my right temple. I have quite a few triggers. About 5 years ago I finally saw the Doctor about them as I was losing a day or two a month to what you described. He perscribed a drug called Zomig for me. When I feel one coming on I take 2.5 mg which is half a pill and it knocks it out. It lasts about 15 hours and about 50% of the time I feel it coming back and I need to take the other half.
I don't love putting drugs into my body but the headaches are so debilitating that I have little choice. I do not go anywhere without it.
The Twin story is to funny. 7:45 damn you are fast.

Deene said...

Migraines are a bitch! I've had them more than half my life now, started in my teens. What I normally get are cluster migraines, preventative meds (prophylactic) did not work for me. Maxalt works sometimes. piece of good news is that since i started running/exercising regularly they've i've not had as many.
incredible that you can eat and run with a migraine.

PNW Runner said...

Deene - actually I tried to eat and run...but it didn't stick with me very long. You know, I tried to be tough, rise above and beyond the pain but it tore me to pieces. It was only later in the evening, when it was wearing down that i got in that run.

Thanks for all the helpful tips...I'll look into those that I haven't tried. Maxalt is what I have...no luck with it.

christine said...

you do have some of the funniest encounters. my husband gets migraines excedrin migraine seems to help.

Scott McMurtrey said...

LOL funny story. :)

sorry about the migraines though. those are sucky big timey. :(

Olga said...

Loved the story...hope your migranes are easing off.

E-Speed said...

:) The twin runners story is funny. My dad used to go to the track with me and we would start out together then he would fade then as I was closing in on a lap he'd catch me again. I kept thinking how on earth is he doing that? Then I finally caught him cutting across the field :) LOL

m. suen said...

So sorry to hear about the migraine. They suck!!

LOL re: twin story. That is just too funny especially when you're just recovering from a migraine.

teacherwoman said...

Sorry to hear about the migraine, I have gotten them in the past but haven't paid much attention to what could have been causing them until recently. My sister, too, experiences these nasty things, and we both realized that ours usually occur around that time of the month. I don't know what that means, but it's eery weird.

Anonymous said...

Those sneaky twins! I bet they dress the same just to mess with people. :)

Bummer about the migraine. Those sound brutal!