Monday, October 29, 2007

Still trying to shake it...ITB issues that is.

As you can see from my previous post, I was a having a bad week last week in terms of running. And the timing didn’t help matters at all. The weather was perfect, little rain and lots of sunshine. As if there is a good time for incurring an injury that puts a holt to your running activities, that statement didn’t make sense. But you know what I mean. It probably wouldn’t have bothered me the same as if the weather was terrible all week long and life on the home front was quiet. However, this was not the case at all. With some added pressure at work, and dealing with family issues(relatives), plus five days of ZERO running can really bring out the emotional side of me!

As with work, it’s all good, the pace has picked up, exciting things are happening and I am coping with the tempo rather well…but as you should know there’s always one that doesn’t adapt quick enough, therefore causing a few sputters.

Family, huh, the same culprits trying to cause a stir. Only this time they’ve succeeded in striking a sensitive nerve of mine. It’s all immature, selfish, spoil, and stupid; mind games by the same old THREE that seem have nothing better to do than keep tabs about gifts, invitations, getting ‘news’, cards, dinner invites…blah, blah, BLAH! I don’t have time for this nonsense and so I have always ignored it, used my fuel for rather more interesting and useful missions than idiotic family drama! Running has always been my release valve, but this was all stacking up over the course of last week each day because I couldn’t find another outlet. By Friday, I had it up to here(to my head), exhausted, almost lifeless!

By Friday, I was withdrawing pretty bad. My body, everything in my body was asking; where is the running? Where is the damn running to unleash this dirty load? All I kept thinking was about how I was going to handle the situation because even though I wasn’t responding to it or confronting the problem in any fashion, it was on my mind. I have had it! I was craving a run to think things through. I kept myself going by telling myself to keep busy. I made an appt for a massage later in the afternoon after work as another way to loosen up the sore ITB. My IT Band was feeling much better(Chiropractic seemed to help a lot) but I wanted to give myself at least another day to rest before doing a trial run on Saturday. But the time stood still and I’d caught myself staring at the walls of my office with pin-pointed pupils without blinking that afternoon a couple times before heading out for my appt….trying to stay positive about everything.

Saturday morning I woke up feeling fresh, pain-free, and energized. All signs pointing to a GO as far as running! I didn’t waste anytime. The dense fog and the chilly 37 degrees F didn’t deter me away from heading out before 7 AM. Those first few steps were bit a rough, uneasy, with lots of anticipation for fear of the pain showing back up before I hit the first mile. It was all relief. Each step I took gave me a warm euphoric feeling that made me calm and relaxed. Time flew by. The first hour felt like minutes. Finally, I was able to process my thoughts clearly. This unsure butterfly feeling that hung over me like a storm cloud began to lift. Every breath left more peace and quiet in my heart. Aw, this was comfort, my escape that transports me away far enough to see what’s going on, to see the whole picture to help me make the better decisions. Two and half hours later I was finally home, on the front porch stretching.

Sunday, I played it safe by cutting my recovery run short as soon as I felt the first sign of ITB trouble to the same leg. I was happy enough with three miles.

Today, I’ve been spending most of my ‘free time’ thinking about where my running life is and where I’m going with it. I’ll be the first to admit, I haven’t been the smartest with my running lately. In fact, I’m probably one of the worse when it comes to handling an injury. It’s either all out or nothing…it seems. Almost like a drug addict experiencing a relapse. Take this past Saturday in particular, I probably should have kept the mileage under ten miles or even half of that…but instead I took it to mere extreme by taking a full plunge until I was physically spent. Anyways, I’m still thinking, even with a (new)nagging injury, there’s still ample opportunity to do another 50K in a couple weeks…it’s part of my wish list on the sidebar there. As you might ask, had I had sufficient training…that’s probably a big fat N.O. But what the heck…it won’t be the first time I’ve done that.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling better. Now, think about how horrible you felt without running for 5 days. What if you ran that 50k with an injury and 5 nonrunning days turned into 5 weeks? Been there, done that - talking from experience.

I'm not trying to discourage you; I'm just trying to say listen to your body.

Sandy

christine said...

yeah what sandy said,
LISTEN TO YOUR BODY:)
a bike ride would be lovely now, no?

Nancy said...

Glad you got back out there!! It's been a beautiful week so I know you were going crazy not to take advantage of it. Hope you can take it easy! :D

Backofpack said...

Eric is probably going to do Herzog - I'm still debating the Seattle full. I've let it go so long it's going to be spendy. We'll see. Take care of that IT and be smart about it!

Backofpack said...

I have to add...like I'm ever smart about my stuff...I'm probably not the best one to listen to!

Triseverance said...

Your description of how running/exercising can relieve stress is spot on, I loved reading it.
I know you get the being careful thing. But after dealing with ITB issues I know how nagging it can be if you really irritate it. Just a little reminder, baby it and continue to be smart and live to run another day sooner rather then later. Bob

Anonymous said...

OK, I know how you feel, but take it from someone who fought ITB issues for 2 years. . . TAKE IT EASY! I tried to ignore it for too long - big mistake! That only made it last much longer. Back off on the running. I know it sucks, but two years without running much really sucks! So, there's my two cents. :)

m. suen said...

I do not have experience with running as much as you have but I do know a little about healing. It sucks to have to tell you this but you need to give yourself some time to heal. Find another form of physical exertion to relieve the stress in which you do not irritate your IT band. Changing up your routine will enable you to use other muscles thereby allowing the IT band to resolve itself. For what it's worth, those are my two cents. :-)

Scott McMurtrey said...

itb...50k...itb...50k...itb...50k... eenie meenie miney mo...

E-Speed said...

Get thee into a massage/ART therapist! ITB can be worked out and you can continue running through it and come back even stronger! Strengthen those hips and quads and hamstrings in the meantime!

Hope you are feeling better ASAP!

teacherwoman said...

It's so important to listen to our bodies... but difficult at the same time! :)

Sarah said...

It's hard to be patient! But maybe now is a good time to take a rest. Last year I was out 1-1/2 months after the PDX marathon with ITB troubles. It wasn't hard to come back, but I definitely needed that time.