Thursday, October 25, 2007

Sidelined....


I want to lace up my shoes, refill my hydration pack, and get out the door! I want to greet and taking in the autumn nature. I want sail amongst the leaves along one of my favorite routes up 3rd Street, maybe even earn me a runner partner; a choc lab who sometimes greets me by running out of the trees as I start up the hill towards the lake. She’s such a good dog, runs either on my right or left side like she’s been with a runner before, and always meets me about the same spot. I even started packing a treat for her. Not very good with names so I started calling her Brownie(doesn’t sport a collar or tag). I may never know where she makes her home but I always look forward to her company, especially on days when I’m dragging. She’s my motivation factor. A comforting note is that I do know that she’s well fed and groomed by her muscular form, silky shiny coat and her happiness. And I bet she’s waiting for me…I just hope she’s patient and doesn’t give up on me as I normally run that route on Wednesday evenings. I didn’t this week.

Zero running since Sunday’s five mile recovery effort. I’ve been nursing an inflamed IT band. Stairs, hills, slopes, basically any walking surfaces that isn’t horizontal are my enemies right now. This really aches my heart especially after a strong run on Saturday. The burning friction on the outside of my left knee is not easing fast enough despite countless stretching every night since Sunday. And I’ve been sneaking in some at my office desk throughout each day. Monday was the worse day, limp, limp. I was walking normal again Wednesday, but the pain is still there. And today, the pain is almost gone, but when I did a few test jogs, Painful! Let’s see, I feel like I’m taking the right steps as suggested on numerous websites; no running, icing, new shoes, stretching to target the it band, but relief is slow.

Made an appt with my chiropractor after work today. I’m crossing my fingers that an adjustment to my hips will be the answer.

I need my drug(running). Give me a swift, trudging on my feet, autumn day! Give me a crispy air! Give me a hellish hill full of huff and puffing. Give me my magic run…just let me have my run back!!

I so want to come back through the sliding glass doors from a run and to hear my 3 yr old daughter look up at me and say something to the effects of “mommy, you’re all sweaty!”

12 comments:

Nancy said...

Do you think the new shoes could be the culprit? I hope you get better soon. Don't over do the stretching. Hope Chiro helps. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Oh man! I'm so sorry about your IT band issues. Doesn't it stink to be unable to run? Rest, rest, rest. Actually, do you have access to a pool? Deep water running will keep you in shape and is actually good for what ails you.

I'm thinking of you in NY!
Sandy

Deene said...

a foam roller works well, way cheaper than a chiropracter as well.

Anonymous said...

I hate it when I'm sidelined. I know how you feel. So, be good and get healthy fast! :)

When I had ITband issues, it turned out to be related to my hip. Do some strengthening/stretching for your hip flexors, too. It might be what you need.

Sometimes a bike ride or a walk is better than nothing.

Olga said...

I am a drug addict too:) Nice picture!

Sarah said...

I hope the chiro appt helped! The foam roller really helps...especially if you use it even when you are feeling good. Take care!

Database Diva said...

I used a combination of resting, stretching and using "The Stick" to recover from my IT band issues. You are doing the right things, you just need to do them longer than you would like. It's a shame that you missed out on the perfect running weather we've had this week.

teacherwoman said...

I am sorry to hear abou the IT band issue. I hope it gets better soon. YOu are taking the right path in not running. Easier said than done. Running is my drug as well. I crave it. After slight injuries or setbacks, once we get back into a running routine again, it's easy for us to take for granted what we have.

This has to be the most perfect time of year to run... love the picture!

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better.

Unknown said...

I feel your pain. Well, luckily only metaphorically. I hope you are back up and running ASAP.

m. suen said...

Hope you're feeling better now. Sometimes, time is the best healer.

m. suen said...

Hope you're feeling better now. Sometimes, time is the best healer.