Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Resting and pondering the 5-0 miles that is....

Well, here we go again with sporadic updates. I swear time been like a rocket lately. Haven’t really had the opportunity to take a moment to really take in anything, it’s all been a blur until the other day when I realized that we have a major holiday THIS week! After replaying voice mails, emails, and notes, I managed to jot down a grocery list for all that I’m suppose to make for three separate family gatherings starting with breakfast on Thursday. We are so blessed to be part of a large family, keep in mind this is just the hubby’s side of the family, too. We’re not talking about my side of the family, but it’s not much different. He’s got three sets of grandparents and they all live in the same county which works in our favor for traveling but foodwise, it can be a bit of challenge. By the end of the day, the best we could do is waddle around like penguins!

And this should be a good time to put in some extra miles to offset that extra helping of grandma’s delicious gravy but I’m afraid that will not be the case for me. I have done almost no running(2 or 3 miles here & there) since doing the 50K run to take a break in hope that it will cure my IT Band issues. The problem’s been minimal, I could continue running but I thought it was time give it some much needed rest. So I’ve been taking it easy, still attending the spinning class twice a week and doing the hip strengthening exercises twice a week as well. Yesterday was the first time I felt the best, felt balanced in both legs. I’ll take a few more days off until Saturday where I’ll try 6-8 miles. And I also pulled out of doing the Seattle ½ marathon this Sunday. As you might have noticed that I removed the link off my sidebar last week when I came to terms with my decision. I’m totally calm with decision, no achy feelings about it. I’m just thankful that I got in a 2nd 50K before the end of the year. That’s enough to satisfy me for awhile. Now I did add another ½ marathon(Christmas) to my list happening next month, so we’ll see how that works out. Again, I’ll play it by ear.

I also would like to address something that came up several times in the comments to my previous post. The topic can’t be ignored, well I probably could but then that wouldn’t be very nice to the folks that live, breath, eat 50 milers because they’re either clinically insane or it really is exciting, rewarding, and fulfilling as they claim! I won’t lie and say I never given it any thought because there’s a few times, it has entered my mind but yet to speak of it until now. However, the thought of going another nearly 19 miles after a 50K is a bit daunting but exhilarating if I think about the exploration side of it left to do. The interest is there, a great goal for later in 2008 for training purposes. So I’ll have to learn more about White River before I take the plunge as far as the terrain, elevation gain & loss. The timing is ideal, end of July. But is it ideal for a first timer?? And I know I’ve been warned by BackOfPack, talk about preying on a docile newbie to the ultra madness!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone and many thanks to you all for reading and sharing road/trail journey with me.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm glad you've been able to give the ITband a little rest. I'm sure you'll be glad you did.

Take care and enjoy the holiday. Can't wait to hear about your adventures for the coming year. :)

Triseverance said...

Happy Thanksgiving Bella, I can only imagine what wonderful stuff you must be making.

Backofpack said...

I'm telling you...be careful hanging around with the ultra folk. You never know what will happen...

Thomas said...

I bet you're going to do this. And I bet you'll have a great time, too (at least in retrospect...)

christine said...

happy thanksgiving bella, you'll know what to do when the time comes. i'll think of you this weekend as i venture out for my first long run in awhile, as much as i've enjoyed the short runs with my dog, i was pleasantly surprised to have the "itch" to go for longer solo run.

Scott McMurtrey said...

you'll do it, i can tell you want to. :)

this is a good week to rest. i know i'm enjoying it. happy thankgiving.

Sarah said...

You might also want to consider the Mt. Hood PCT 50M (www.pctultra.com), which is the same day as White River. It's considered an "easy" 50 miler. : )

Unknown said...

WHITE RIVER! WHITE RIVER! WHITE RIVER!...he chants trying to etch into her subconscious for future pondering, but no pressure. The race is not going anywhere, 2008, 2009, whenever you're ready. If not, we'll still like you.

Nancy said...

You are amazing!! I'd love to have the body hold up for a full marathon but I'm not sure it is in the cards yet for me. Hope the IT is better.

Hope you had an enjoyable holiday!!