Sunday, November 11, 2007

Ron Herzog 50k report

For some reason I’ve been too darn lazy to write a recap of yesterday’s trail run. The event was a blast, don’t let me throw you off there. I really enjoyed myself out there and had a good run.

I went into this race without any real goals, mostly just to finish and check off one more 50K run for the year. I’ve been itching to enter another trail run before the end of the year to confirm with myself if that’s what I truly enjoy. And I realize that I didn’t put in the training like I did for the Cle Elum 50K in September, but I knew I was strong enough to pull through. Let’s see, with my IT Band acting up, last Tuesday was my last run of 7 miles and 15 miles Saturday before that.

Friday night, my little one and I spent the night at my in-laws in the Seattle area so I wouldn’t have to get up extremely early Saturday morning to drive to Granite Falls. I had all my stuff ready that all I had to do was get up, get dressed, eat breakfast, and head out after my alarm went off at 6am.

I arrived at the trailhead a little after 7 am. Saw some familiar faces, chatted until race time, plus paid extra attention to the IT Band by stretching it and stretching it. I was feeling a slight touch of irritation to the side of my knee, but that was all. 8 am, we’re off up a logging road. I was relieved about leaving my water resistant jacket behind because it was warm enough to remove my gloves and headband before the 2nd mile. It wasn’t raining, but with the clouds overhead, it looked like it could pour buckets any minute.
I was indecisive at first about climbing the hills, whether I should hike or jog(run) it. Eventually I settled with jogging, better on my breathing. Jess M and I stuck together until midway(aid station), we chatted about different races, she gave me ideas of which new races to enter, itb issues, family stuff, trips, etc. About five miles into the run, I was dealing with a new issue; my left groin/hip area was tight, almost painful. I tried rubbing it out, pounding it with my fist, but wouldn’t let up so I took it easy until it started working itself out during the next three miles. Much to my relief, no itb noise. By time we entered the brush whacking, a.k.a tank trap section, I was feeling good, no kinks or soreness! We took a wrong route at one point, following these tape markings straight into the wood with no path/trail to the edge of a ridge! Luckily we didn’t spend much time there, we hurried back and found the right path eventually. We worked our way back by passing 4 people to get back into our position were in before we got lost.

I really didn’t mind the shoe sucking mud section even though I lost my left shoe at one point. Though the twigs, rocks that were glued to my sock didn’t feel good(blisters) because I stepped in the mud with my sock when I stepped out of my shoe stuck in the mud. I did the best I could by squeezing off the excess mud before pulling my shoe back on, didn’t get all. We had lots of variety in this part of the course, forking a creek, dealing with tree blow downs, overgrown mess that slap you in the face, all an adventure.

Jess and I separated at the aid station, she got her water, took off, while I did that plus change into dry socks and shoes, then eating my PB&J sandwich on the fly. I felt good for that first descending section, then back to the climb I was started to feel it, less energy. But I pressed on, passed some early starters. The last downhill section is where my IT Band started to complain a bit, not majors, so I backed off the pace, took it easy, pass a couple more people. I was still having a good time until I reached the pavement section, it was like HELLO! My IT Band was ok, but my groin/hip pain was back making it difficult to extend my stride. That felt like the longest portion of the course. I was glad to be done!

The good news was I felt no pain or strains after I completed the run, a very good sign in my book. And the best news of all, I even surprised myself. A new PR, 5h 47mins!! Results here.

I’m sorry to say no pictures. I know! I remembered to bring the camera but dead battery. Bummer! Not only did I not bring the extra battery, but also the charger! So you’ll have to head over to "Trail Scat" because he’s got some awesome images from the event.

Until next time, happy runnings.

19 comments:

Journey to a Centum said...

Hey PNW!

Good to see you at the finish. I got caught up with the early starters and decided to go out with them. You had a great time for this run! I'm talking speedster status, and you looked good when you came in.

Glad to hear the ITB behaved itself during your run. The groin issue is probably related somehow thru compensation.

Keep smiling and keep running these 50K's! I'll see you at the White River 50 miler this summer!

Trail Scat

Olga said...

Yay for another 50k and a great time!!! But you guys are not looling me into Ron Herzog (or Tank Traps) race:)

PNW Runner said...

Whoa, wait a minute here...now that White River thingy has never entered my vocabulary...so where's this coming from??

Triseverance said...

Congrats on the suprise PR. Glad you had no major IT issues. Now rest up a bit and get some good recovery time. Happy almost Thanksgiving.

christine said...

another one in the bag! good job out there, you've definitely earned an extra helping or two come turkey time....stupid cameras, it's always something with them batteries, usb cables....

Scott McMurtrey said...

great run! ah, you gotta love the mud, huh? glad the itb held up along with everything else. so, you're running white river now? cool.

Backofpack said...

Nice one PNW! Good job on the PR!

Yeah, you gotta watch that Trail Scat - he'll have you talked into a race before you quite know what happened. Keep an eye on him. Plus, he'll take pictures while you're down.

Nancy said...

Wow. You. Are. Amazing.

Database Diva said...

Congratulations on the PR. You must have done something very right this summer to PR 2 races in a row! Good luck with the IT Band and groin issues. I used to have IT Band problems, but they went away, only to be replaced by a persistent groin pull. I agree that it is a compensation issue. I wish I could give you the formula for making both go away, but for me it has involved "time off".

Deene said...

Yay, rez runner girl! good job.

Anonymous said...

I bow before your greatness!!! Unbelievable race! You totally and absolutely rock!

Congratulations on ANOTHER 50k!!!

Sandy

Sarah said...

Your 2nd 50K (or is it your 3rd?) and you're already passing the early starters? Nice job! I hope your ITB is still feeling good. Gotta love that shoe sucking mud! You should come down and run Hagg (www.haggmud.com) in Feb.

m. suen said...

That is awesome! Happy for you.

E-Speed said...

5:47 with a shoe change? Nicely done! Glad the ITB held up for you and you had fun out there!

Michmas said...

Nice work and a great way to end the "official" running season :)

teacherwoman said...

Wahooo on the 50k! YOU ROCK!!

Anonymous said...

Nice job on the run and a PR. That is awesome.

Ed Little, Jr. said...

Great to read you did spectacular! I am still running...but still having a lot of problems with Shin Splints. My site is down the past few weeks...it will be back up soon.

Unknown said...

Well done on the 50k. I am glad that you had no pains at the end of the run and congrats on the PR. White River 50 is a good goal for you next summer. We have you all taken care of ;)